Hi - here's a list of 5 ideas you can do this weekend if the changing seasons has you inside and feeling like being a Plant Parent!
I'm in the middle of moving here - San Diego to Seattle - and amidst stacks of boxes are plants throughout the home. Most of them are coming with me but are getting a last round of San Diego water and sunshine over this next week. Amidst all the chaos, taking time to be w my plants definitely brings me joy.
Caring for them as new leaves and roots come to life has a way of reminding me that some of the best things in life appear by being present and patient.
With that, here are a few plant parent ideas - growing in water / propagation edition - you might want to add to your weekend plans:
- Top off or Refresh your plants' water: this could be as easy as walking around and topping off water or be a more involved process of adding hydrogen peroxide to clean algae (if you need instructions on this, reply back and I can get instructions your way). For someone really wanting to take on a water project, investing in a Reverse Osmosis system - the under sink ones are great - is something your body and plants will thank you for!
- Top off Plants w Nutrients: just water works great for your plants in water for a while, but eventually they'll need added nutrients to support new leaf and root growth. And let's be honest, that new plant growth is half the joy. So give a few drops of nutrients to your plants and if you're in need of a good nutrient option, we have an effective and easy-to-use option on our site. Looking up Hydroponic Nutrients in google could also present a few other options to you if you're like to dive deeper into the topic!
- Shop a New Plant Wall: yes we'll always drop a little plug in for you all to do a little shopping with us. For now, our End-of-Summer Sale is still running for a sitewide 20% off. This is auto-applied in cart, so have some fun and shop around if you're in the mood.
- Groom your plants since we all love a pretty plant: Plants benefit from a bit of upkeep now and then. Whether you're wiping down the leaves, removing old leaves, cleaning up glass vases, or even removing browned portions from leaves (yes, I'll take scissors to my leaves from time to time) - the new look of a pretty plant is a lovely thing. Maybe even take a cutting or two, which leads us to...
- Get some new propagations started: if you're still getting a bit of warm weather and sufficient lighting, it's a good of time as any to get some new propagations started. If you have existing houseplants and would like to get a few propagations going or even establish some new plants in water for your Modern Botanical Frames or just that cool vase you found while thrifting, there's no better time to start those propagations than now. Optimal temperatures will reduce the time it takes for new roots to show, and a healthy plant always brings a smile. Here's our Propagation Guide!
- A few bonus ideas: if you'd like to dive deeper into some bigger plant projects, looking into growing in LECA or adding Moss Poles to your growing arsenal could be fun things to start planning. I'll leave it at that :)